In 1906 a fire devastated the downtown and destroyed most of the wooden buildings.From 1906 to 1912 Macleod had its greatest period of building, as more new brick and stone building replaced the destroyed wooden ones.
Fort Macleod, originally named Macleod, is a town in the southwest corner of the province of Alberta, Canada.
It was founded as a North-West Mounted Police barracks, and is named in honour of the North-West Mounted Police Colonel James Macleod. The fort was built as a 70 by 70 meters square (233 by 233 ft) on October 18, 1874.
The east side held the men's quarters and the west side held those of the Mounties.
Buildings such as hospitals, stores, and guardrooms were in the south end.
Stables and the blacksmith's shop were in the north end.
The town grew on the location of the Fort Macleod North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) Barracks, the second headquarters of the NWMP after Fort Livingstone was abandoned in 1876.Once agricultural settlement and the railway came to the region, Macleod boomed.The town became a CPR divisional point and frontier wood construction began to be replaced by brick and sandstone.Until the 1970s, the town's economy stagnated and the buildings from the turn-of-the-century remained untouched.In 1978 Alberta Culture started to inventory the downtown buildings, and in 1982 the downtown became Alberta's first "Provincial Historic Area".As well, Heritage Canada started a Main Street Restoration Project in 1982, aiming to preserve the sandstone and brick buildings, some dating back to 1878.