All links to non-UTD sites or services are provided solely for your convenience.
Located north of the University of Oregon campus, it is the home field of the Oregon Ducks of the Pac-12 Conference.
Opened 49 years ago in 1967, the stadium has undergone several expansions.
The official capacity is 54,000, although the actual capacity and attendance is routinely 59,000 Prior to 1967, the Ducks' on-campus stadium was Hayward Field, which they shared with the track and field team.
However, by the 1960s, it had become apparent that the 22,500-seat stadium was no longer suitable for the football team.
Ironically, Autzen was an alumnus of archrival Oregon State University.
The foundation's donation was linked to his son, a UO alumnus from the class of 1943.
In 1967, Oregon hosted Colorado in the first game played at Autzen Stadium, a 17–13 loss before 27,500 on September 23.
The Ducks only played three home games per year on campus in most years; with the exception of the Civil War, the annual rivalry game with Oregon State, games that were likely to draw big crowds (against schools like Washington and USC) were played 110 miles (180 km) north in Portland at the larger Multnomah Stadium.
With the recognition that the football team had outgrown the campus facility and with popular support to play the entire home schedule in Eugene, Oregon athletic director Leo Harris led a campaign to build a new stadium on 90 acres (0.36 km Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars was contributed by the Autzen Foundation, headed by Thomas E.