Many buildings from the late 1600s can still be seen.The cantonment was constituted as a municipality in 1876 and was the headquarters of Murshidabad district.
it was the seventh largest city in West Bengal (after Kolkata, Asansol, Siliguri, Durgapur, Barddhaman and English Bazar) and is situated in the central part of West Bengal.
In 2011, Baharampur was nominated to become a municipal corporation.
In earlier days it was known as Brahmapur because many of the Brahmin families settled here.
Baharampur is the administrative headquarters of the Murshidabad district.
It is located about 200 km (124 mi) from Kolkata, the state capital.
Berhampore was fortified in 1757 by the East India Company, after the Battle of Plassey in June 1757, and it continued as a cantonment until 1870.But the foundation of the city of Berhampore remains questionable.Karnasubarna, which is very near to Berhampore, has a history dating back to 600 AD.Both Cossim Bazar and Lalbagh boar testimony to a blood-spattered yet majestic epoch in Indian history.A very much impacted area of Berhampore are those places in the banks of the stream Bhagirathi river giving a receding process of downgrade and evolution of the abscess marketing and thus leading to one of the well victimized estate of remarkable famine conditions prevailed in 1971.This area was and still is a splendid producer of jute and it defines how the cultivation of the land is in this region.